Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm just not sure what to think...

A few posts back, I wrote:
"But ever since I miraculously pulled a Thornton patch out of 23 out of a blaster, I've been hooked. (Side note: it was damaged, and I recently asked Upper Deck if they have a replacement. They were overly courteous in their e-mail, told me their policy, and said they would send me things anyway. Maybe they ARE changing...... we'll see what they send anyway)"

Today, I get a package from Upper Deck.

First, a form letter. First paragraph with the obligatory thank you, and how they're simply not responsible for future value of the their cards. I didn't ask them for that. (I suppose that means "Yeah, sometimes stuff happens with our machines. Whatever.")

Second paragraph tells me they can't guarantee what one can pull from a given pack. I didn't ask them that either.

Third paragraph says that I am one of their "larger customers" (either a lie, or I need to see who's looking at my spending habits....), then apologies and "I hope you're not TOO mad with us" talk.

Fourth paragraph is a shorter version of the second.

All in all, a horribly written form letter. I understand that you can't personalize it for everyone, but this isn't even close to what I asked them. "Damaged cards" should be their own form letter.

Anyway..... reaching in the envelope, considering a patch /23 could be worth over $100, I pull the following:

06-07 SP Game Used Daniel Sedin jersey
07-08 SP Authentic autograph of......... SHANE DOAN!!!!!!!!! (It's one I need too!)

Is this worth over $100? No, this would be $10 with shipping on eBay, if that. Do I like it? When I get a free Shane Doan, that works for ME. Note the capitalization there. If I was not a Shane Doan collector, I wouldn't consider this as much compensation for my pull.

What did I learn? I hope I didn't learn that they REALLY know what I collect. I would like to know how they know that (I think I did tell them in a previous e-mail, and if they DID take the time to read old e-mails, that IS truly impressive.) Realize that when you buy older product, if you pull a damaged card, you're pretty much screwed. They told me in an e-mail that they have an 8 month hold time on older cards, then.... well, they give them out to others later on, or use them as "buybacks" I guess.

I'm glad I got something, but simply put, Upper Deck's customer service over e-mail might be better, but their overall methods are still a little questionable. I suppose one step at a time.....

No comments: