Friday, March 20, 2009

Huh. Well, that's a surprise.

So I take off from work a little early today. Too much week, and I had a few things to do before I picked up my wife from work. As a last stop, I stopped at the London Drugs near her work, and walked over to the card section to see if anything is on sale - HAHAHAHA, because it never is.

My surprise started when I saw 07-08 Victory blasters for $7.99. Not too odd, but that's a good price. Then.... the real surprise.

08-09 Black Diamond Blasters.

...... $14.99. Consequently, I bought 3 of them. No surprise there, I suppose.

Considering I have 18 packs here, I should get:
  • 4 Double Diamonds
  • 2 Triple Diamonds
  • 1 Premier Die Cut
  • a 3:4 chance at a Quad Diamond
  • a 3:4 chance at a Quad Jersey
So let's see if buying more of these really makes a difference:
BOX 1
Pack 1 - Malone, Leclaire, Kostitsyn, Gerber, Jovanovski
I suppose a few packs of commons are going to happen

Pack 2 - Vrbata, Parise Double Diamond, Comrie, Drury, Plekanec
A Double Diamond, and I don't have it. Parise is having a great year, and should have a great career.

Pack 3 - Pominville, Kronwall, Ellis, Franzen, Carter
Probably best to just move on.

Pack 4 - Byfuglien, Bryzgalov, Vermette, Kaberle, Giguere Triple Diamond
Already ahead on the Triple Diamonds..... maybe.

Pack 5 - Green, Shanahan, Fleury Premier Die Cuts Double Diamond, Cleary, Langkow
The Double Diamond PC are the same toughness of the Single Diamond. Doesn't really make sense.

Pack 6 - Prospal, Zubov, Morrow, Brown, Luca Sbisa Triple Diamond Rookie Gems
A rookie and two Dallas Stars. That's how to end a box.

Ended box 1 way ahead.

BOX 2
Pack 1
- Shanahan, Latendresse, Cleary, Langkow, Datsyuk Triple Diamond
3 Triple Diamonds in 7 packs. Should be 2 in 16. So I'm doing ok.

Pack 2 - Cole, Redden, Cheechoo Premier Die Cuts Double Diamond, Markov, Carcillo
Up on the Premier Cuts now.

Pack 3 - Thomas, Olli Jokinen Double Diamond, Nylander, Perry, Williams
3 for 3 in inserts in this box. Good start.

Pack 4 - Marleau, Bouwmeester, Alex Pietrangelo Quad Diamond Rookie Gems, Bergeron, Theodore
A negative person would say that this probably eliminates my chances for a James Neal or Fabian Brunnstrom. The positive person says that a Quad was not guaranteed. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle.

Pack 5 - Whitney, Chara, Little, Sturm, Steve Mason Triple Diamond Rookie Gems
...... and now I have one of the hottest rookies in the NHL. And 5 inserts in 5 packs.

Pack 6 - Harding, Antropov, Svatos, Kovalev, Huet
5 out of 6 is good. And I think I need these for my set.

Box 1 was good, box 2 was VERY good. Box 3?

BOX 3
Pack 1
- Bryzgalov, Kopitar Double Diamond, Gerber, Brown Jovanovski
I have more Triples Diamonds than Double Diamonds. Huh.

Pack 2 - Green, Shanahan, Mario Lemieux Quad Diamond, Comrie, Drury
So now 2 Quads when I was guaranteed none, double the Triple Diamonds I was supposed to get.... and short on Double Diamonds.

Pack 3 - Latendresse, Cole, Plekanec, Franzen, Gaborik Triple Diamond
.............. did Upper Deck completely mess up their odds? I'm not the only one having success, so I hear.

Pack 4 - Redden, Thomas, Marleau, Carter, Vermette
It would be childish to complain at this point.

Pack 5 - Bouwmeester, Vokoun Double Diamond, Kaberle, Cleary, Langkow
Finally hit the Double Diamond quota.

Pack 6 - Whitney, Chara, Harding, Markov, Carcillo
Quiet end to a great three blasters.

So.......
  • 4 Double Diamonds - GOT 4
  • 2 Triple Diamonds - GOT FIVE!!!!!
  • 1 Premier Die Cut - GOT 2
  • a 3:4 chance at a Quad Diamond - GOT 2
  • a 3:4 chance at a Quad Jersey - NONE
I like jersey cards, but to get one of those as well would have been preposterous. Again, Black Diamond blasters treat me well. Maybe I should go back to London Drugs and buy them out.....

No comments: