Monday, April 23, 2007

Huh. Well then. Isn't THAT odd.

So UD tells me they're sending me "SPx unopened product". Pack, packs, box...... whatever, I like getting unopened product anytime.

Especially considering what I got in the mail today.

Shane Doan Scoring Kings Auto Jersey 13/20.

The one I wasn't supposed to get because it doesn't exist. The one I was apparently already compensated for.

Looks mighty cool for an invisible card.

See..... this is what happens when your customer service and redemption program needs a serious overhaul. Having it online is good - but if you have a computer guy on staff who can create a back end for it that actually helps you track who's been sent what, you can make it great. One where someone would KNOW what I got for what, and one where they would KNOW that I AM getting the Doan /20.

Instead, they're wasting time and money sending me product. Hey, I win in the end, but really, this is symptomatic of the UD monopoly - right now, I'm not sure they know what's going on. They're just flying by the seats of their pants. I haven't mentioned this yet..... but they did not once try to verify my identity or my claims. Really, it makes me wonder if some random person would fire off an angry e-mail about crap they received for a redemption, and if they could get free product out of it. I'm a call centre manager myself, and really...... secretly I would LOVE to move to UD and get their shit in order. I have a passion for cards, and I love the call centre industry. Anyway........

All this being said....... well, assuming I get the SPx too at this point, I turn into a happy customer again. In all honesty, with the unopened as a topper (especially if it's a whole box), they have more than compensated me for the timeframe I had to wait for. I did have to spend a whole lot of time and aggravation over it, but they have actually acknowledged it. And maybe that's the bottom line. If I'm happy and tell people I'm happy, maybe sending me a box that costs them $40 US to create does the trick for them. I certainly know a lot of collectors and dealers, and when I told them I was getting unopened product, all of them had a slightly restored faith in UD.

I don't know. Maybe they're customer service geniuses. Or maybe they just don't know what the hell they're doing and they're just dumbass lucky. I'd probably side with the latter, but when money isn't much of an object, I suppose it's all relative.

No comments: