Friday, July 07, 2006

Another pack break

Today, as I get a new job, I decided to treat myself to a few packs of hockey cards. Two new ones that recently came out. Here we go:

Parkhurst. To hardcore hockey card collectors, it evokes memories of Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard, and the days of old, where hockey cards were 5 cents a pack, and the cards are now worth thousands - a tale of hockey history. To card "collectors" who caught the fever in the early 90s, or people who were young then, it is memories of ProSet's attempts at a higher end brand, and some of the first full set parallel sets, when hockey cards were up to $1.00 a pack, and the cards are now worth basically nothing. Today? Upper Deck Parkhurst. A 700 card monster set. Worth it? Let's open the packs:

Pack 1 - Elias, H. Sedin, Brown, Koivu, Rucinsky, Valtteri Filppula RC.
Hmm..... a 700 card set will have a lot of commons, I guess.

Pack 2
- Exelby, Dallman, Plekanec, Erskine, Chouinard, George Parros RC.
Hmm..... a 700 card set will have a lot of commons, I guess.

Pack 3 - Lidstrom, Morrow, Knuble, Koltsov, Frolov, Steve Yzerman Captains Insert.
Hmm..... a 700 card set will have a lot of commons, I guess.

Verdict? Decent looking cards, but at $3 per pack, pass until the prices come down. This is a set for rookie and set collectors. 1 auto per box, 1 jersey per case - but 8 jerseys PER CARD! Not a horribly bad set, but do yourself a favour and wait until boxes on eBay come down.

Next is Rookie Update. I don't know much about it aside from it having a LOT of rookies. Let's go:

Pack 1 - Fedorov, Turco, DiPietro, Kiprusoff, Milan Jurcina Black Diamond Triple RC.
First thing I notice? Big mistake by UD. The BD rookie has gold colouring on the bottom, which in the regular BD was the colour of cards #/10. Nice regular cards though.

Pack 2 - Roenick, Primeau, Alfredsson, Tanguay, Brad Richardson Artifacts RC 669/750
Second thing I notice? Rookies from high end sets with packs at $8 instead of $20+.

Pack 3 - Kovalchuk, McCabe, Jokinen, Gomez, Jordan Sigalet BD RC
Third thing I notice?..... if I didn't like rookies, I'm not getting much here.

Pack 4 - Iginla, Svatos, Yzerman, Miller, Connor James Rookie Update RC 1795/1999
Fourth thing I notice? Well.......

Rookie Update appears to be a nice product. Pack price of around $8 seems a little pricey until you realize that you're getting a lot of rookies, and from packs that were in the $15-$50 range in earlier ones. No, the rookies aren't as good now as in the original sets, but if you like rookies, this looks like a great set, especially for variety. I'd recommend you pick some up.

No comments: