Thursday, July 10, 2008

Packs and packs and packs

So last time I bought packs, it was a 12 pack of random retail with "one game worn jersey or autograph" per plastic pack. Got pretty much nothing, and upon seeing the ones at my local Toys R Us tonight that were messed around so you could see the jersey/auto...... well, I wasn't going that route again. Instead, another 11 pack blaster of 07-08 Fleer Hot Prospects, two retail packs of 07-08 MVP, and one retail pack of 07-08 Artifacts. Not expecting much from the packs, and I've already reviewed the Hot Prospects, so it's time to open!

Artifacts pack - Tucker, Kariya, Vanek, Frolov, Latendresse
I guess it was $1.98 for a reason. Still, very nice LOOKING cards.

MVP pack 1 - Arnason, Campbell, Spezza, Kessel, Pronger, Biron, Vlasic, Matt Ellis RC, UD propoganda card
.......... it's best we move on from this.

MVP pack 2 - Jagr, Sillinger, Jackman, Boyle, Marleau, Huet, Rookie Redemption Card!!!!!, UD propoganda, Zach Stortini RC
The redemption card is good for a 3 card pack of rookies from the 07-08 season. There are 30 cards in the set, and some good ones.

On to the Hot Prospects packs......
Pack 1 - Fedorov, Stafford, Vokoun, Marleau
Stafford is an ex-UND Sioux player and Marleau is a fellow Saskatchewanite, so that's cool. I'm reaching. Far.

Pack 2 - Kopitar, Zetterberg, Lehtonen, Perry
Moving right along......

Pack 3 - Blake, Hejduk, Bernier, Latendresse
Bernier is the newest Vancouver Canuck............. uhhhh.......

Pack 4 - Emery, Brodeur, Alfredsson, Lundqvist
Alfredsson..... every time I think of him, I think of Mike Richards from the Fan 960 radio station in Calgary. They get someone to do a mock Steve Armitage from CBC that's absolute gold. To fake Armitage, Alfredsson is just "Alfred". Bad story on my part, but worth a listen.

And the first four packs have been crap.

Pack 5 - Luongo, Giguere, Briere, Toskala
3 goalies! We're almost halfway, and that's not a good thing.

Pack 6 - Tucker, Fleury, Jagr, Ovechkin
Ovechkin is the best card I've pulled so far. I've also not fallen down the stairs today. I'm equally excited about both.

Pack 7 - Radulov, Lecavalier, Gagne, Pronger
I'm starting to sweat.

Pack 8 - Turco, Horton, Savard, DiPietro
The first Dallas Star of the packs!!!

Pack 9 - Spezza, Staal, Samsonov, Drury
No comment.

Pack 10 - Huet, Sakic, Naslund, Satan
One more left.

Pack 11 - Miller, Sedin, Getzlaf, Phaneuf
Anger.

Far and away, that is the WORST blaster I have ever opened. And that is saying something, because I have opened some duds in my time. In fact, the "one game worn/auto guaranteed" per plastic pack would have been a far better choice. The only thing that saves me anger is the rookie redemption card, and that's not exactly huge.

I like the blaster boxes because they're relatively inexpensive. But increasingly, they are providing little to no value, or big value - you get a home run, or absolutely nothing. And more often then not, it's nothing. In this one, there isn't even an insert card. Just 44 commons. And I suppose if you look at it as 50 cents per common, it's not as bad. But it's still not worth the money I paid for it, because these commons mean nothing to me.

I have to take my own advice - I have to stick to eBay, and instead of buying blasters, buy hobby boxes, and sometimes, the prices are similar......

No comments: