Saturday, June 03, 2006

UD Ice pack break.... and pack wars!

Went to a card show today and participated in my first "pack wars". I'd heard a lot about them, but had never done one. A dealer I know invited me to play - 4 of us, $20 per person, 6 packs each of UD series 2 hockey. The first person says a number that would appear in the set, and everyone opens one pack. The person with the card in the newly opened pack that is the closest to the one said gets all 4 packs. So if you pull a pack with an Ovechkin Young Guns and you don't have the number closest to the one said...... fork it over.

Sounds maddening, but for pack rippers like myself, it's potentially addicting. I ended up winning twice out of the 6, but I didn't get the Joe Thornton Majestic Materials /50. :( Oh well, I had fun, and for $20, I got 8 packs of UD Series 2, with 3 rookies. Not a bad return.

Bought 4 packs of UD Ice at the show. The dealer I knew gave me the Shane Doan card I needed. Decent looking cards, I think. But very reminicent of the old Ovation brand, the same nicked up ice design. Still, I liked that design, so it's not a bad thing. I also picked up a Jussi Jokinen Cool Threads jersey for $8 at the show. Odd jersey piece - looks like it might be from a retro North Stars jersey. I should e-mail UD about it. Anyway, nice card, but not acetate, which was too bad. To the packs! Here's live play by play: :)

Pack 1 - Sakic, Jagr, Staal, Weiss, Selanne (all base)
Nice cards for the price point. No damaged cards, another plus.

Pack 2 - Weekes, Frolov, Alfredsson, Ryder, DiPietro (all base)
Like the first pack, except about a quarter of the star power. I figure it can't get worse than this one.

Pack 3 - Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, Yashin, Nabokov, Poti (all base)
Ummm...... has this box been searched?

Pack 4- Sundin, Morrison (base), Maxime Talbot Fresh Ice jersey card (acetate!)
Finally. Although I nearly soiled myself when I saw the Penguins logo on the back. Photo shoot jersey, but a very nice card.

Thoughts? Nice cards. I didn't have a whole lot of luck, but this is a nice enough set that I might actually collect it as an entire set. And NO damaged cards, which is an amazing plus considering UD's quality issues this year. I got them at $5 per pack (tax in), which might appear a little high, but for better quality nicer looking cards and some nice inserts, it's better than something like the atrocious Beehive. I'd recommend you buy a few packs. From what I hear, if you get 4 packs, you'll get something at least. I've heard some disastrous box breaks, though.

Ratings 1-5:
Design: 4.5
- a slightly reused design, but well done and fairly nice, I think.
Rookies: odds ?, value 1.5-2
- I didn't pull any. It looks like they are plentiful, but not of much value. The Crosby is out of 99 (I think), but it's a long pull.
Game used: 4
- Nice cards, values aren't looking too good though
Autographs: 5
- Acetate autos for many of them, and autos on the actual cards.
OVERALL RATING: 4
- Well done, I think. Maybe a little high priced, but compared to other offerings this year, not bad.

No comments: